When you’re browsing the web, the sites you visit are often tracking you. With Google Chrome and Google’s search engine, Google is doing that as well. All that information goes somewhere, and if you want to get rid of that data here’s how:
Clear Your Searches from Your Google Profile
If you don’t use Chrome for your browser, but still use Google search your search terms will still show up in your Google Activity profile. Clearing this history out of your Google profile is a fairly simple process. Here are the steps you should take:
- In your browser, go to MyActivity.Google.com and sign in to your Google account.
- On the lefthand side of the page, select ‘Delete Activity by’.
- You can choose to ‘Delete by topic or product’ or ‘Delete by date’.
- If you want to ‘Delete by topic’, you can search for specific items to delete from your history.
- If you want to ‘Delete by date’, select the date range that you want to delete, and which types of data you want to clear.
- Select Google Ads, Google Pay, YouTube data, or any combination of the three that you wish to delete.
- Then, select ‘Delete’. You will be prompted to make sure you actually want to delete the selected data. Click ‘Delete’ and you’ve now cleared that data from your Google profile.
In ‘Activity Controls’ you can also change the settings for which information Google collects. If you want to keep certain information private, you should disable Google’s collection of that information.
Clear Your Browsing History in Google Chrome
When browsing in Google Chrome, the browser stores your browsing history by default. Because you can log into your browser when using Chrome so your activity is linked to your Google account, you can also clear your browsing history on multiple devices at once.
- Open Chrome on your phone, tablet or computer.
- In the top right corner of the browser window click on the 3 dots to open the menu.
- Hover over ‘History’ to open the dropdown list. Then select ‘History’. You’ll be taken to your browsing history.
- On the left side of the page, select ‘Clear browsing data’.
- In the menu, select the data and history you want to clear. Click the checkbox next to any data you want to clear. (You can also select a date range of the data you want to clear.)
- Click the ‘Clear data’ button.
(To clear your browsing history and data from only the device you’re using, you can log out of your Chrome browser before clearing your history.)
Have You Checked Your Google Profile?
Google’s My Activity is where your browsing activity, search history, and videos you’ve watched are stored and kept available for you to check. For people who’ve never checked this page out, it can be shocking to see how detailed this information can be. You may not know that Google is collecting information about you, or which information is being collected.
If you are concerned about keeping your information private online, you should check your Google activity to get an idea of how Google is tracking you.